IMPORTANT: I am still allowing pickups of animals at this time. Due to the covid-19 no one is permitted in my home. We will meet in the driveway and take all precautions to limit contact for everyone's safety: all payments and paperwork will be done electronically and no shaking hands. Allowing of pickups is subject to change without notice. In the event of cancellation pickups will be rescheduled at a later date TBD. If you, your family, or anyone that you have come in contact with has contracted the coronavirus we ask that you delay your pickup. If this occurs please contact me to make individual arrangements. Down payments are not refundable.
Policies & Adoption Information
Please note: by making a down payment and/or adopting from Southeastern Connecticut Exotics, you are agreeing to the following:
• I offer pickup in Lyme, CT at my home. Pickup location will be provided when the animal is ready to go home; I do not post my address on the web site or give it out prior to contract, as it is my home.
• Pick ups are by appointment only. If you are more than 15 minutes early or late, please contact me before coming to ensure I can accommodate you. Please do not wait in my driveway or on my street.
• Airline shipping is not available.
Terms, Conditions & Adoption Procedure
A non-refundable down payment is required to reserve a pet or be placed on our future baby waiting list. Down payments go towards the total purchase price and the remaining balance is due prior, or at pickup.
Once a down payment is made, a confirmation email will be sent. In that email you will find a link to book your pickup appointment.
You will be required to fill out a very basic questionnaire about how you will care for your pet when you book your pickup appointment.
Before pickup you will need to fill out an adoption/no breeding contract.
The balance due is required to be paid before or at the time of pick up. Pets will not be released without payment in full.
At pick up I accept Venmo, debit or credit cards (4% service fee applies) and payments through PayPal (4% service fee applies unless sent as Friends & Family). I am not responsible for payments sent via Paypal/Venmo to the wrong account. No checks or money orders are accepted.
Babies cannot be reserved without a down payment.
The posted date of when a baby can go home is approximate. It can change to be either earlier or later, depending on a variety of factors used to determine if a baby is old enough to wean from its mother. After being weaned the baby is monitored and must be drinking and eating well on its own before I will allow it to leave to a new home. Any changes in date will be sent via email.
Our animals are sold as pets only and breeding is prohibited.
I do not sell opposite sexes to anyone, including you and your friend, brother, sister, roommate, etc. unless the male is neutered before adoption (sugar gliders only).
Color is not guaranteed.
I offer a limited health warranty and lifetime WHS warranty on hedgehogs (see details below).
Southeastern Connecticut Exotics reserves the right to refuse to sell to anyone at anytime for any reason, even after a down payment has been made.
I do not sell hedgehogs or sugar gliders to illegal states and counties.
Down Payment Policy
• If you are unsure which baby you would prefer, or would like to choose your baby in person, please schedule a meet & greet. Do not place a down payment on a baby unless you plan to adopt that specific baby.
• You may place a down payment on an available baby or on a future litter. Down payment prices are listed on each animal and non-refundable.
• If you do place a deposit on a baby and decide you want a baby from a different litter, I will allow 1 deposit switch if it is more than 14 days before the go home date of the first baby you reserved.
• If you have made a down payment and decide that you cannot get the baby at that time, I will hold your deposit for 6 months if you notify me at least 14 days prior to your pickup date. You will need to contact me to make arrangements.
• Failure to answer emails about picking up, no-shows or cancellations within 14 days of the pickup date automatically forfeit down payments.
Care Packages for Pickup
Hedgehogs will go home with a fleece blanket in a cardboard carrier with a sample of the food he/she is currently on. This food should be mixed half and half with what you are going to be using to feed until the sample is gone.
Sugar Gliders and STO's will go home in a secure bonding bag with a sample of the food he/she is currently on. This food should be mixed half and half with what you are going to be using to feed until the sample is gone. Larger bags of our food mix is available for purchase at pickup and later from our web site and shipped if you choose to continue to use it.
Cages & Accessories
S.E.C.T. Exotics offers habitat kits at very affordable prices. Click here to see a detailed list and pictures of our hedgehog kits, click here to see a detailed list and pictures of our sugar glider kits, click here to see a detailed list and pictures of our STO kits. If you don't purchase your supplies from us, we ask that you talk to us about your habitat and accessories when you pickup to ensure that you will have the appropriate environment for your pet.
• The Health Guarantee applies to all animals purchased and bred by SECT Exotics under the age of 6 months. There is no Health Guarantee for adult animals sold by SECT Exotics.
• The Breeder guarantees that the pet adopted by the buyer, to the best of my knowledge, is free of disease/defect.
The Buyer agrees to have a wellness exam done by a licensed veterinarian within the first 30 days of bringing the animal home in order to activate the Health Guarantee set forth here.
• There is a 3 month congenital Health Guarantee.
• There is a lifetime Health Guarantee against WHS on hedgehogs.
To obtain a replacement animal under the Health Guarantee, the buyer must provide proof that a wellness exam was completed by a licensed veterinarian within the first 30 days of adoption, a necropsy report from a licensed veterinarian if the animal has died or is suspected of having WHS, or a signed statement from a licensed veterinarian detailing the congenital defect. There must be medical proof of a problem (x-ray, blood test, etc) and proof that the animal received proper veterinary care when ill. The Health Guarantee will not be honored based upon assumption. All claims will be verified with the licensed veterinarian issuing the determination. All veterinary costs, medicine costs, cremation costs, necropsy report costs, or any other associated costs are the responsibility of the Buyer. The Health Guarantee does not cover these costs, nor does it entitle the Buyer to a refund of the purchase price of the animal and/or any accessories. The Health Guarantee entitles the original Buyer to a replacement animal of their choice and same price. If the Buyer is entitled to a replacement animal and none are available, the Buyer will be placed at the top of the Breeder’s waiting list.
• The Breeder will not replace the animal if something happened to it due to negligence, injury, improper diet, or a neglect related illness.
• This Health Guarantee does not cover mite infestations, upper respiratory infections, gastrointestinal infections, etc.
• The Breeder is not responsible for escapes.
Refunds, Returns & Rescues
• S.E.C.T. Exotics will take any animal back, or any animal at any time, but no refund will be given. There are also no refunds on cage setups or cage accessories.
• If at any time you decide a hedgehog, STO or sugar glider is not the right pet for you or circumstances change, the animal must be returned to us at buyers expense/time. I do make exceptions - if you have already found a wonderful home, for example. Please at least contact me before you re-home your pet, so I can update my records.